We sat down with some of our brilliant cast and crew prior to our production of "Feel / More" which returns to the King's Head Theatre next week! We'd love to take this opportunity to introduce you to Melissa Phillips who features as "Jackie" in a piece by the brilliant Fergus Church We sat down and gave her our "10 Question Challenge" and here's what she had to say for herself!
1) How would your friends introduce you?
She’s friends with everyone!
2) Tell us a bit about your character and what you like most about them?
Jackie is a young minded but sharp individual. She’s at a stage in her life where she’s reflecting on her early youth, particularly relationship and career wise. That said, she’s still that same free spirited, warm hearted girl that she was all those years ago. She’ll get there.. (in her own time!)
3) What is it that you like most about Feel / More and why do you think people should buy a ticket?
I think all the characters in Feel & Feel More are relatable. For me, there are parts in each monologue that have crossed through my own mind at some stage or another. People that come and see the show will laugh, possibly cry but overall leave with a feeling of comfort. We are not all the same but as people we experience things that can be shared and understood by others around us.
4) If you could play any role yet that you haven’t what would it be and why?
I don’t have a particular role in mind but I would love to do a strong physical theatre piece. I’m a very physical actor and love improvising with movement and dance. Hopefully one day Cirque du Soleil!
5) What's the best piece of advice you've been given?
Relax and enjoy it! Be professional, punctual and prepared. The rest is out of your control.
6) If you could swap lives with someone for the day who would it be and why?
I like my life to be fair! Ha, I can’t decide between Sarah Paulson, Viola Davis, Cate Blanchett or Ruth Wilson. Simply because of their sheer talent and energy, I love the work that they choose to do.
7) What scares you and excites you most about acting?
What scares me is the unpredictability of the industry in general, mainly from a financial perspective. What excites me is auditioning and the very first rehearsal, the beginning of the journey! Learning from other actors and creatives.
8) What's the most challenging thing you've done on stage that you're most proud of?Performed on someone’s shoulders in absolute black out with only a few glow in the dark strips to guide me (whilst on a constantly revolving stage.) I didn’t fall once - did 18 shows!
9) What would the title of your autobiography be?
“I don’t know how I got here but I’m here!”
10) Tell us a random fact we may not know about you...
I don’t know my date of birth.....!
Melissa is an actor from London and performs the role of "Jackie" in Feel / More written by the fabulous Fergus Church on June 10 / 11. In her own words she doesn't know a JPEG from a tent peg and we love her all the same.. You can follow Mel on Twitter @MelissaTalawa. You can also follow Proforca on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook @ProforcaTheatre and via our website at www.proforca.co.uk.